The district is governed by a five-member Board of Directors that is elected by the voting members who reside within the district. Each member is elected to a four year term and elections are held every two years. Eligibility to the board is restricted to those members of the community who reside within the district boundaries and are registered to vote, renters and property owners alike. In the event of a vacancy between elections the board solicits inquires from interested community members and a member is chosen to fill out the term. Board members are paid $50 each per meeting with a maximum of 2 meetings per month.
- Monthly Board meetings are held on the second Wednesday of the month at the Tomales Town Hall.
- Meeting time is 7:00pm. Meetings are open and the public is encouraged to attend.
Discussions and actions are limited to those items on the agenda with an 'Open Communication' segment at the beginning of each meeting allowing for announcements and comments. The agenda is posted 72 hours prior to the meeting.
In addition to the elected board members the district is managed by our General Manager, Jose Ortiz. His job is to provide all the necessary functions to insure the district runs efficiently and is in regulatory compliance. He also maintains a working relationship with our operators and, during projects, our contractors.
The board also has numerous subcommittees:
- Newsletter (Cynthia Hammond & Beth Koelker)
- Fund-raising, Community Advisory (a group of community members who independently review district policies and functions)
- Mosquito Advisory liaison (Margaret Graham is our representative to the West Marin Mosquito Control Council)